Saturday, June 6, 2020

AFL Rankings: Round 1 2020

My AFL Rankings are back for their tenth season.

Anything major happen while they were gone?

...


I spent some time between seasons making significant changes to my rankings Excel file. Preparing all 23 rounds now seems a bit like a waste of time, at least for this season. On the other hand, my changes to the file made it much easier to adjust my rankings for the shorter quarters.

I’ve adjusted down all 2019 margins and home ground advantages to 80 per cent of their previous values, to reflect the shorter quarters this year (though there are arguments to adjust the home ground advantage down further). This did not affect the order of teams, before Round 1.

Anything interesting happen in the actual matches?


Collingwood had a good win over the Western Bulldogs in Round 1, by 52 points. That moves the Magpies up from seventh to second in the rankings, and the Bulldogs down from fifth to eighth. After Richmond at the top it’s all pretty close, so teams may move up or down several spots each week over the first few rounds.

The tips

Here are my predictions for the next round of AFL matches. I have adjusted my probability distribution for the shorter quarters as well.

No comments: