Saturday, February 28, 2015

The Finger Points Outwards - No. 100

I had a couple of ideas as to what to do to mark the 100th Finger Points Outwards post. One idea was to do links to the 100 articles on the internet that over the years I had most enjoyed reading. I could only get to about 30 though. Another idea was to do links to 100 things in life I enjoy the most, but then I realised that it was not going to be particularly revelatory to many readers if I had a link to things like The Simpsons.

So what to do? Well, the Cricket World Cup is on in Australia at the moment, and cricket has hundreds. So perhaps it’s a bit of a lame way to mark the 100th post, but here are my top five most memorable Australian Cricket World Cup moments:

Pakistan take four cheap wickets against Australia in their opening match in 2003, and then Andrew Symonds rescues the Aussies by blasting his first one day century. The Australians would not lose a game.

Ricky Ponting smashes 140 not out in the 2003 World Cup Final against India.

Adam Gilchrist smashes 147 in the 2007 World Cup Final against Sri Lanka. I was gutted when Australia lost the 1996 final to Arjuna Ranatunga’s Sri Lankan team. Ranatunga had long gone by 2007, but it was good to celebrate Australia’s third World Cup in a row by getting revenge on the Lankans.

Australia looked headed for a defeat in the 1999 World Cup Semi-Final against South Africa until Shane Warne bowled this delivery.

And then there is this memorable finish to the greatest cricket match ever played.


Greatest cricket moment ever!

No comments: